Thursday, June 1, 2017

Memorial Day 5K Recap!

This was the 5th Anniversary of this race! And since I just moved here it was my first time running it.  I decided to run just the 5k to see where I am at as far as my race pace. Also I just finished running a half marathon last weekend and have another one this coming weekend! .
I haven't ran just a 5k since last July when I ran the Nuthouse Challenge. I will blog about that soon!
This was a local race and that meant local packet pick up! Score! The packet pick up was held at the Running Center in Temecula. It is about a 20 minute drive from my house. Actually, traffic was terrible that day and it took just a little longer. 
The Running Center was offering 20% off store wide that day, which was awesome! I have always wanted a running belt. I have tried out the Tube waist band thing, but I did not like how thick it was.  So I splurged on a Nathan Belt! 

 I haven't had a chance to try it out on a run yet, but I will soon! 

This race was held at Diamond Valley Lake Park in Hemet.  It was about a 30 minute drive for me. And that morning it was super foggy out, like almost zero visibility. But as soon as I got a few miles down the 215 Freeway the fog lifted and the sun came out!

I arrived at the parking lot with just enough time to meet up with my MMM girls and use the bathroom. Then it was go time!  This race has a family who lost their loved one in the military so they got to start off the race. Then the 10k runners took off and about 5 minutes later we (5k runners) could go.  This was a rather flat and easy course. I was feeling great, but kind of saving my energy for the last mile. And I use Mapmyrun during my runs in order to know how far I have ran and how much distance is left.

Well it so happens that there were a few volunteers who were not in their correct spot and so along with the first 50 or so runners, I finished the race clocking in only 2.5 miles. Yep, we were supposed to turn somewhere and go on a dirt path, but for some reason there wasn't a volunteer to tell us where to go. So I saved my energy and didn't get to use it. Don't get me wrong, I ran hard, but I surely could have ran harder. 



Which brings me to say I came in at 21:37 and missed 3rd place in my age group by 16 seconds.  I think if I would have ran the full 5k distance I would have PR'd this race. Which is awesome, but that didn't happen.  So I will have to find another flat 5k to sign up for! And I plan on running this one again next year!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment